Beer is the world’s most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third-most popular drink overall (after water and tea). People all over the world just love beer. An average American consumes 23 gallons of the beverage a year. Do you know what nation has the highest beer consumption per head? What is the strongest beer in the world? To find out, check out the article below.
Oktoberfest in Germany
Oktoberfest (literally the October festival) is the world’s largest funfair held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is a 16-day festival running from late September to the first weekend in October with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year.
The very first Oktoberfest was held in Munich in 1810…and still thrives on a yearly basis today!
Large quantities of Oktoberfest Beer are consumed, with almost 7 million litres served during the 16 day festival in 2007. Visitors may also enjoy a mixture of attractions, such as amusement rides, sidestalls and games, as well as a wide variety of traditional food.
During Oktoberfest, German beers are sold inside 14 giant tents and in smaller tents in ‘beer gardens’ (Biergarten). Beers are served in a one litre mug (Mass). Under the tents, an orchestra plays typical Bavarian songs.
Cerveceros is a Spanish association created in 1922 which brings together beer producers. Today, Heineken Spain, Mahou San Miguel, Damm, Compañía Cervecera de Canarias, Hijos de Rivera y La Zaragozana are brewing the biggest amount of beer in Spain.
‘Nos vamos de BARTES’ (We’re going to the pub on Tuesdays. Bar + Martes= Bartes) is an initiative created by Cerveceros to help a hotel trade which is dynamic and creates a lot of jobs in Spain.
‘Los Bartes’ is already in place in different cities: Barcelona, Sevilla, Zaragoza, la Coruña and Las Plamas ; from the 3rd of February to the 5th of May it comes to Madrid. Every Tuesday during this period, come to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere and a fresh beer in different bars of ‘las Letras’.
Check out where ‘Los Bartes’ will take place on the web site: http://www.bartes.es/
Beer Runners aims to promote an active lifestyle and join together two essential elements of the Mediterranean culture: sport and socializing while drinking beers. The goal is to encourage everyone, but especially youngsters, to do physical activities and then socialize in bars and cafes.
Fun facts about beer
- If you are a beer lover or enthusiast, you are by definition a “cerevisaphile”, while if you collect beer bottles you are labeorphilist.
- Steven Petrosino of New Cumberland, Pennsylvania downed 1 litre of beer or 33 ounces in a chilly 1.3 seconds in 1977 which made him a World Beer Chugging Champion according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- The world´s strongest beer is Brewmeister´s “Snake Venom”. While regular beer usually have about 5% ABV, this Scottish killer has a stomach-burning 67,5% ABV.
- Amsterdam pays alcoholics in beer. For cleaning the city streets, local alcoholics get 10 Euros, half a packet of rolling tobacco and 5 beers as payment by a government-funded organization.
- The highest beer-drinking country in the world is the Czech Republic. With an incredible per capita beer consumption of almost 40 gallons a year, the Czechs are way out in front in the beer drinking world league table.
Read more Fun Facts here:
- What is your favourite beer brand?
- What kind of beer do you prefer? (Ales, lagers, stouts, wheat beers)
- But do you know what nation has the highest beer consumption per head?
- What’s the country which produce the biggest amount of beer?
- Do you know what’s the national beverage of Mexico? England? Australia? China?
- What is your opinion about botellones?
- Have you ever heard about ‘binge drinking’? What do you think about it?
- Do you think that drinking alcohol really helps to socialize and be more confident?